Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Victory Garden update


With all of the busyness going on over the past 2 weeks, the garden has cruised along nicely. One of the things that attracted me to the house was the nice back yard. The previous owner had quite a garden in years past and the evidence is still there. There's an old wire fences around the area he used along with scattered seedling pots & plant markers. Right after we closed on the house I planted a few quick seedlings knowing that I would be quite busy for the next few weeks or months and if I waited until I had time I might end up planting in the hot SC summer. I've added a few plantings and seeds over the past few weeks and have also started to clean up the yard a bit too. The wire fence is now becoming tomato cages & my hodgepodge garden is starting to shape up. I've added a few pictures with labels of where everything is laid out. Right now I just found spots for things. I didn't do much prep work on the soil and the layout isn't as organized as I had hoped, but next year I will have much more time to plan everything out.

What am I growing this year you ask? Well where to start.... 4 tomato plants - 2 Brandywine & 2 Roma; 4 pepper plants - 2 Anaheim, 1 New Mexican & 1 Sweet Banana; 2 rows of English peas; 1 row of green beans; 4 rows of onions - Vidalia variety but since we don't live in Vidalia, GA they aren't real, but they will taste good anyway!; 2 watermelon plants - both Charleston Grey; 1 Cantaloupe plant; 2 Zucchini plants; 3 Cucumber plants - 2 Straight 8, 1 Picklebush; 1 Crookneck squash plant & something I'm hoping does really well - a vine of Mt. Hood hops that I can harvest for homebrewing fine beers! I will probably add a few more things as the summer progresses. I'm think 1 row of beans won't be enough and maybe some pumpkins too. Something that we lucked into was the 2 Pecan trees , 1 Peach tree and a mess of blackberries in the back yard. On a non-vegetable note, two years ago I grew some monster marigolds from seeds out of a catalog. These grew to about 3 FEET high!! I save the seeds and have planted them again along the back fence. They have started to sprout so I know they are still good. If you're interested in putting some in your garden then send me an email and I will happily send some off to you. You won't be disappointed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow - looks great!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home