Friday, June 09, 2006

While it's on my mind

One more quick rant before I go to bed this morning (I'm working night shift). All of the hubbub about Congress voting on an amendment to the Constitution to state what exactly a marriage is. It gets me so frustrated when I see this on the news. No, not for the usually reasons; but when I got married, I hear "by the power invested in me by the sovereign state of South Carolina..." (yes he did say sovereign!) Nothing in any wedding ceremony I have ever heard mentioned anything about Congress, the President or the Constitution. This is a state issue, always has been and always will be! States will define marriage as they and their inhabitants see fit. Just like Massachusetts did and just like South Carolina will do this November. There will be an issue I think about recognizing another state's marriage in another state, but that's nothing the Supreme Court can't handle. That's how our great Constitution works folks. Some of the most important aspects about our government is what was left out of the Constitution and left to the states.



My good friend Dave wrote a great bit on his blog a few weeks back here. It really is true, you really never can go home again. I tried it a few years back and found out for myself.

I know a few people are actually reading this, many more than show up in the comments. So please take a few minutes and let me know what you think of the new Pickles & Beer or just say hi and let me know how you are doing. Thanks for tuning in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi James! I'm reading P&B.

-Branden

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home