Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Seed Saving & Swapping

I just came inside from a morning out in the Victory Garden. In case you're wondering, the cabbage and cauliflower I planted a few weeks ago seem to be growing well. I am a bit worried about cabbage worms since they destroyed the plants I had this spring. I really don't want to have to use any insecticide so I hope they don't like the cool weather.

About mid summer when my cilantro had gone to seed and became coriander, I decided to just bury the plant seed heads where they were and see what happens. Well, I forgot about them for a few months and now just noticed they started to sprout again! I hope I can get some good cilantro out of them before it frosts. I also saw that the last of the summer plants were going to seed also. I picked some of the last peppers and also some basil seeds. I planted half of the basil seeds in a pot to bring inside and the other half I buried right where they were like the cilantro. The peppers I'm drying out to save their seeds.

Which brings me to the point of this post.

I'm looking for some other people to save and swap seeds with. Right now I have some hot banana peppers, Anaheim peppers, dragon's tongue beans, basil and my monster marigolds (they grow 3 feet tall!). I'm looking for some tomatoes, cucumbers, beans & squash. Garlic would be fabulous too! I really dig any heirloom varieties too, the stranger & older the better! If you don't have any seeds to swap with but want some of mine, just let me know & I'll pay it forward and send you off some.

So spread the word to your friends & neighbors and hopefully we can all swap some good stuff in time for planting season. If you're unfamiliar with the benefits and process of seed saving, here's a few links.
Seed saving tips from the University of West Virginia

The hows and whys of seed saving along with a seed saving resource

Great practical tips for gardening in order to save seeds

A website I like to buy organic & heirloom seeds & plants

I hope to hear form you soon!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home