Sunday, August 31, 2008

My presidential dilema....

David Broder had a great column today about Barak Obama's Denver speech. He hit what I feel right on the head. Most of you know that I'm all over the map with my political beliefs. One thing I do strongly believe is that our country needs change. Change in energy policy, education, health care, organization, foreign policy, budgeting & special influence. Don't confuse what I just wrote with me saying that Geaorge Bush is the root of all of the world's ills. What Obama was preaching in March stired up lots of support and interest, in cluding in me. But lately things seemed to have changed. Here's the paragragh that sums it up for me.

"One of the major questions about Obama, of whom so little is known, is whether he is really serious about challenging the partisan gridlock in Washington or whether his election would simply bring on the regular wish list of liberal policies.

His Boston speech -- and many others early in this campaign -- suggested that he was sincere in wanting to tamp down partisanship and would be creative enough to see the need for enlisting bright people from both parties in confronting the nation's problems.

But the Denver speech, like many others he has given recently, subordinated any talk of fundamental systemic change to a checklist of traditional Democratic programs."

I joked a while back that an Obama/McCain election would be the toughest choice for me ever. I've always liked McCain. His plain talk is always refreshing in a time where every word a politician chooses is parced to the milimeter. He too has changed. The steadfastnest of his previous veiws on campaign finance reform, oil drilling and others now seem to be more in line with the party bosses. They/he seem(s) to forget that those views are what got him the nomination in the first place.

Anyway, there's where I stand. My vote will probably go to the candidate who I feel will most likely actually deliver change. Is it old school McCain or new school Obama. Or is it Bob Barr... who knows. I will, in about 2 months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home