Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Lifetime of Learning

I haven't posted anything nerdy in a while. I figure today is the day to change that. A few weeks ago I read an article about how MIT is now in the process of offering all of its courses online for FREE! I checked it out and it looks quite interesting. It's great to see learning for the sake of learning and not just to make a buck on it. Of course I don't know how many people are looking to learn more about the physics of space exploration, but something that did strike my fancy was to learn a bit of Spanish. Since most language courses nowadays are computer/audio/video based anyway I figured that this would be a great way to pick up a few phrases. I downloaded the course .zip file. It has the syllabus, coursework, assignments & ect. The video portion is done off of free streaming video on demand. I searched Half.com for the textbook and workbook and found it fairly cheap. So, for the cost of the books, (say $35) I can take an official Spanish course from MIT. Okay, so I don't get any credit for it but my coworkers (Alex & Cornelio) will hopefully appreciate my effort to communicate better. Of course I won't have that fat tuition bill hanging over me to force me to study and do homework every week, I'll just be learning on my own pace and have to force myself to keep working on it & not get distracted (something I have never been really good at). I hope there is something out there for you to keep learning about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home