Wednesday, January 31, 2007

It's OK to be a nerd


I more than others freely admit to being a big nerd about science & technology. After reading this article about changing bird migrations, it occurred to me that the creators of eBird.org have a pretty cool website. It's run by the Audubon Society & the Cornell University Ornithology Lab and connects ornithologists with birders from all around the world. I ran across the website a few months ago when I was trying to identify a bird that was visiting our bird feeder (it was a tufted titmouse like in the picture). I signed up just to give my 2 cents to science and to keep track of what birds we have around the house, but after reading the article I feel kind of proud that my contributions may actually contribute to bird research.

I tried to get the kids into it but for some reason they just aren't as excited about it as me and would rather play their Gameboy. Go figure. I hope I turn someone else out there onto the website and make your casual bird feeder watching into a little something more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh heh. titmouse.

5:53 PM  
Blogger James said...

There aways has to be one...... who get it! hahahahahaha

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home