Monday, January 15, 2007

And we're off....


"The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful".... A little Jimmy Buffett never hurts in January to warm things up, or at least some gardening, or both. I've been back in a home improvement mood lately and we've been getting the house ship shape. We planted TONS of bulbs; tulips and irises all over the place. Then while picking up a few things at Lowe's the other day I walked through the garden center and saw the first seedlings for sale! and there had ONIONS!! Now we love fresh grown onions. They taste SO much better than anything from a store.
And the get me in an even more springtime mood, the county was giving away free Christmas tree mulch. So, I filled up Col. Mustard and started to get the garden ready! I didn't have all of the raised beds finished yet so I used the mulch for the aisles between the beds. I went through my seeds from years past and found some peas. (The package says to plant them in January here.) I planted both regular English peas (Wando variety) and also some Asian style pea pods along the fence hoping they would climb up. With those in place I figured the onion seedlings would go nicely along the fence next to them. On the opposite side of the fence I have some garlic planted from last fall.
What's left you ask? Well, I need to build 3 more raised beds, fill all 4 with compost, buy some seedlings & seeds for what I don't have, get some more mulch for the paths and some wheat straw for mulch & try to figure out how to make watering more automated.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home