Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Top 100 song shuffle

Okay, inspired by Mike P. I've been thinking of my own list of 100 songs for the iTunes shuffle. I'm doing mine a bit different. First off, my mind was awash with a flood of possibilities. Not only did I want to include some of my all time favorite songs but also some that you just NEVER hear anymore so when you do hear them it makes them even more fabulous. While at work I started putting together a list.... before I knew it I had 75 songs and that was before I got home to look over my cd collection or iTunes. It would be hard to whittle the world of music down to 100. Instead of having a maximum of 2 songs per artist (like Mike), I am limiting myself to one song. SO, when reading this realize that, say, my #2 song by the Clash my not be on the list, I still like it better than Sir Mix-a-lot, but I still want Baby Got Back in my shuffle. Make sense? Also, since I really do have a laundry list of home projects to do on my days off, I am going to break everything up into blocks of 25 to be posted over the next 3 days. And like mike, the numbers do not constitute rankings. Without further adieu, the first 25....

  1. Bare Naked Ladies - Life in a Nutshell - lots of good songs but I like this one best
  2. Weezer - The Sweater Song - this is the best breakup song ever!
  3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Back in the day this song shook the world when it came out. I'll admit I wasn't the biggest Nirvana fan in those days but I love this song much more now
  4. Paul McCartney - Silly Love Songs - Just my favorite of his solo stuff, bee boppin' fun stuff
  5. John Lennon - Watching the Wheels - I think it sums up post Beatle John Lennon perfectly
  6. Van Halen - Hot for Teacher - One of the first cassette tapes I ever had! The drums rule & the video is a teenage boy's dream!
  7. Entrain - Tarbosh (Dancin' in the Light) If you live in New England and have never seen Entrain then go!!! Best live shows ever!
  8. Marvin Gay - What's Goin' on - Best part of SC radio is being able to get a Billy Dee Williams cool fix by just switching the station.
  9. The Pixies - Here Comes Your Man - Catchy tune, never knew why the Pixies didn't get more radio play.
  10. The Breeders - Cannonball - Love the bass here.
  11. Eric Clapton - Promises Tough to pick just one but this is his best songwriting
  12. Queen - Fat Bottom Girls - How can you not just sing along to this rockin' song!
  13. Rupert Holmes - Escape (the pina colada song) - A forgotten 70's song that is the butt of many jokes but I like it! I like three's company too!
  14. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues - Just my favorite of his, especially live
  15. Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub Rock - A forgotten early hit that put them on the map as a hard rocking band.
  16. B-52's - Rock Lobster - I just can't convey how much I love this song, puts me in a great mood every time!
  17. Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus - cool bass & rhythm. Love it!
  18. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now? - I scream every time I hear a crappy remake. You cannot come close to the original!
  19. Blink 182 - All the Small Things - Brings me back to the fresh out of college work days.
  20. Lit - My own worst enemy - Looking back, this was the theme song of the Howard St. apt. Jeff & I lived in when I first moved to Columbia.
  21. Harry Chapin - Taxi - Love lost and then found, then life goes on....
  22. Greatful Dead - Good Lovin' - Tough choice but this is the perfect cover for this band, and they do a fabulous job. Look for the version on Dick's Picks v. 10.
  23. Cream - Sunshine of your love - bet you didn't know Clapton's solo start is the song Blue Moon. Don't believe me? Listen to it. For a kick look at them 40 years ago.
  24. Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite - Great underdog theme
  25. Dave Mathews Band - Crash - Love the whole album and this is my favorite song from it.
Let me know what you think...... more to come soon.....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so, since I inspired it, I figured I should weigh in on a few. 1. Bare Naked Ladies - Life in a Nutshell - great pick. Under appreciated band, kind of faded away.
3. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - didn't like it at the time, but, it's grown on me. Love the drums in the beginning.
9. The Pixies - Here Comes Your Man - I worked a concert at the Mullins center a few years ago and was stationed in the moat between the stage and the crowd. I could've turned around and untied Frank Black's shoes if I wanted to.
12. Queen - Fat Bottom Girls - Amen.
13. Rupert Holmes - Escape (the pina colada song) - I've done this one countless times at karaoke.
16. B-52's - Rock Lobster - I like Roam better because it reminds me of those old commercials that I think were designed at getting students to study abroad, but they were on all the time in the 80's.
19. Blink 182 - All the Small Things - Brings me back to high school.
25. Dave Mathews Band - Crash - Have to disagree here, there are at least 4 better songs than this on that album. So Much to say, two step, #41, Lie in our graves all are way better.

Looking forward to the rest of the list,
Mike

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home