Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day


Read a little about St. Patrick. Enjoy an Irish feast of champ and Irish soda bread and chicken & leek pie. When washing it down, forgo the Guinness and Killian's for a Smithwick's or Beamish. You can thank me later. And of course think of your Irish ancestors and the trials & tribulations they endured for a better life. Thanks Patrick Keaveny & Nora Quirk!
I have the day off today, so Mr. Quinn & I will be visiting local establishments from about lunchtime on, all day. maybe I'll post a picture or two later.
One bit about Irish history in Columbia, SC. One of the local Catholic churches here was formed by Irish immigrants. Read about the history here. I find it a bit odd that in 1821 (well before the Civil War), there was nobody in South Carolina able hand dig the Columbia Canal but Irish immigrants from the north?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home