Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Brewing frustrations & sewing bees


The brewing went OK this weekend. The only problem was that I killed the yeast. This isn't the first time it has happened either. I can never wait until the wort has cooled and get impatient to add the yeast (for non-brewers, the boiled liquid (wort) must be cooled to at least under 100F before adding the yeast or else they die before they can do their magic). I tried the contraption shown in the picture to cool the wort as I siphoned it into the fermentation bucket. The hose went through a pot filled with ice & water before the bucket. This didn't do too well as the hose was still very hot to hold from the wort (maybe I should use copper tubing next time). 3 hours later we left to pick up the kids and it cooled to about 110F and I added the yeast. When we got back 4 hours later there were no signs of fermentation; when I awoke the next day, still nothing. I've done this before and have saved the batch by adding more yeast. Well, I don't have any yeast and the brewstore is closed on Sunday, I have to work Monday & Tuesday; so that leaves Wednesday to get more yeast and hope to save the batch. The one big monkey wrench would be the wort getting contaminated between Saturday and tomorrow. I've had it sealed up in the fermenter and airlock for 3 days now afraid to open it up and introduce some stray bacteria. I guess I'll know more in 24 hours. I'll let you know what happens.

While I was brewing on Saturday, Kimberly was having girl time sewing away with an online group for a virtual sewing bee. They all make the same project and send each other pictures. They all made hanger covers, Kimberly's is pictured. Something I didn't quite get though.... The whole virtual part. I grew up in a house with a mother who was very crafty and sewed quite a bit and I remember when other quilters/crafters/seamstresses would visit they would be showing each other all of their current projects and would just gossip and talk the day away. That's the part I don't get... an essential part of the bee is the carrying on and gossip. Something that is distinctly missing with the virtual sewing bee. Of course they will post pictures of their projects and comments on message boards but it isn't the same. On the other hand you could have many different people from all around the world and reach a wider range of people being virtual than the usual clique of blue hairs. Seeing how excited Kimberly was the week before and then showing off the pictures after I guess I have to say it was a success. Maybe this is the wave of the future!! What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

RE: the sewing - I think I have to agree with you. I love getting together with my friend to sew not only because she can show me things I didn't know, but because of the commiseration that takes place. But I have to admit that Kimberly's virtual sewing group is a cool idea for those people who can't get away for a few hours at a time. Maybe I will have to give it a try . . .

PS - have patience!

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home